Brussel Sprouts & Shells
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ red onion (less than ½ cup), chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- squeezes of lemon juice, plus some zest for the end
- 6-8 oz. mini whole wheat pasta shells (or gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup pecorino cheese, shredded (dairy free cheese if needed)
- a few pinches of red pepper flakes
- In a large skillet add 1 tbsp of olive oil and onions. Cook until onions are just soft (3-4 minutes), add the minced garlic and cook for 30 second. Turn off the heat and remove the onions from the pan.
- In a small bowl, toss the brussels sprout halves in balsamic vinegar, and 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper.
- eat more olive oil and the butter. When the pan is screaming hot add the brussels sprouts, cut side down. Without moving them, let them cook for about 3-4 minutes, until they develop a nice char (check and reduce heat & time if they’re burning).
- Flip them over and add a good squeeze of lemon to deglaze the pan. Toss them around a bit. Reduce heat to low, and add a few tablespoons of water. Cover and let them steam until tender (approx. 4-5 minutes).
- Boil shells in a pot of salted boiling water until al dente.
- Toss together the shells, onions, brussels sprouts, more lemon juice, and most of the pecorino. Taste and adjust seasonings. Finish with remaining cheese, lemon zest and red pepper flakes.