Italian Rice Pilaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup orzo pasta or gluten free orzo
- 1 cup jasmine or plain long-grain white rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or chicken bouillon
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, very thinly sliced*
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced*
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano*
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme*
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, if needed
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pasta and stir to coat. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the pasta is lightly browned.
- Add the rice, water, bouillon and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, stir and reduce the heat to low, making sure it is still simmer, and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 16 minutes and check to see if the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed. Add the fresh herbs, stir and taste. Cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes if the water has not been absorbed.
- Remove from the heat. Taste and add salt if needed. Let rest for 5 minutes and fluff with a fork before serving.