- large portobello mushroom caps, gills removed
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- shredded or fresh mozzarella ( although I've tried both I prefer the dryer shredded version for this because of the moisture factor seeping out) (may also substitute low-fat or dairy-free)
- fresh basil
- olive oil
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil for easy clean up.
- Brush the caps and rims with olive oil on each mushroom and sprinkle with chopped garlic.
- Slice cherry or grape tomatoes in half, place in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, add chopped basil, salt and pepper. Let it sit for a few minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Place your cheese on the bottom of the mushroom cap, spoon on the tomato basil mixture and bake until cheese melts and mushrooms are cooked but not overcooked.